"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences."
-Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, October 19

A Pumpkin weekend

Brody had a long week ending off being in Utah Thurs/Fri seeing his accounts, so we had a nice relaxing weekend! It was so nice.
Brody had his weekly soccer game Saturday afternoon---they won 10 to 3! It was a great game and Brody was on fire! I love going to his games! =) After the game I went up to the store to pick up a few things, and I ended up picking up a few pumpkins and a carver too! I couldn't resist, it sounded so fun to do while the baseball game was on (go Ray's). Here are a few photos of our pumpkin day! Just another reason I love this time of year!

At Albertsons they were selling electric carvers for about $4 so I gave it a try and it was SO fun to use!
Scooping out the pumpkin guts (but saving them for later)!
Brody wanted the big one to be a traditional Jack-O-lantern face (which I love), so we carved him out (you have to have a jack-o-lantern at Halloween)---then I had fun doing some detail work on the two small ones. This was my first time not doing the normal smiley face and it was really fun, plus, I'm telling you, that tool makes it so smooth and easy to do the fun details---I wish I had 5 more pumpkins to work with. But I do have next weekend to look forward to---my sister will be in town and we are all going to this great patch, and then more carving!
I didn't use any stencils, I made it up & drew it all free hand---and kind of spaced on the "e" & "a" in 'Treat', so they have unnecessary gaps in them! =)

Roasting the seeds
While we were carving I was putting the seeds and pumpkin guts into a colander to clean them off and try my hand at roasting them. I have never roasted pumpkin seeds before or even had them, so I was pretty excited! I looked up some recipes online and they turned out REALLY good! We love them!! We have been munching on them all day. If you would like to try them too, here are the recipes we used!
Sweet&Salty
  • Clean off seeds and boil in salt water for 20 min's
  • Let dry overnight
  • 1 1/2 Cups Pumpkin Seeds
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 Pinch Salt (to taste)
Pre heat oven to 300*. Toss seeds in bowl with melted butter and salt. Spread single layered on a cookie sheet and bake for 30-45min's (or until golden brown). Sprinkle sugar on them right out of the oven.
Then they will look like this (well this is what ours looked like). Enjoy!!
Sweet&Spicy
  • Clean off seeds and boil them in salt water for 20 min's
  • Let dry overnight
  • 2 Cups Pumpkin seeds
  • 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcester Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
  • 2 Drops Hot Sauce (I used almost a teaspoon and it still was not enough to really taste it. But we like things pretty spicy)
Pre heat over to 300*. Toss seeds in bowl with melted butter, then add salt, worcester, brown sugar and hot sauce. Spread single layered on cookie sheet and bake for 30-45mins (or until golden brown).
Then they will look like this (well this is what ours looked like)! Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Lisa Jarvie said...

Loved your carvings--loved eating the seeds while watching the Rays win--loved seeing the real Rays in Hawaii--love you guys...

Lisa Jarvie said...

Oh, and now....I love the new page design! See you soon....

Malia said...

Your pumpkins are amazing!!! and those seeds look delicious!